- WadeintoFitness.com / Ann Wade
Quick Warm Blueberry Sauce
Berries are loaded with nutrients, but can it get any better than this warm sauce? Try it on our "Delicious High Protein Pancakes" (see our 'Wade In' Blog - they're easy and gluten free to boot!). This sauce is a yummy alternative to maple syrup on pancakes. Also great on yogurt, biscuits, etc.
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (not juice). We've used some blackberries w/ the blueberries too.
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon
1) Combine blueberries, sugar and 1/4 cup of the orange juice in medium-size saucepan. Warm mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally.
2) As berries heat, separately blend cornstarch into remaining orange juice, using back of a spoon to dissolve any lumps.
3) Increase heat under pan and bring sauce to a boil. Stir the cornstarch mixture again and then stir it into the fruit. Cook sauce at low boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4) Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice. Cool sauce for 5-10 minutes before serving (it will thicken as it cools). Makes about 2 cups.